Sunday, May 22, 2011

My New Favorite Website: Weatherspark

Having run the astronomy labs at Elon for many years, I have spent many hours checking many weather sites, trying to predict whether the skies will be cloudy. I would click back and forth between weather.com, accuweather.com, and wunderground.com to access different data slices and maps. Today, I got a glimpse into the future of weather sites with weatherspark.com.  Oh my god! What middle-school girls feel for Justin Bieber, I feel for WeatherSpark! If Edward Tufte and Al Roker had a love child, this would be it.


Ok...putting aside my "shiny new toy" feelings for this site, let me give two critical comments.

POSITIVE: This is the first site I've seen that clearly illustrates the difference between actual weather, predicted weather, and climate. I will certainly have students look at it in class when I start to talk climate change and/or scientific uncertainty.

NEGATIVE: The WeatherSpark map is missing two data products I rely on: infrared satellite data (for tracking clouds that aren't raining) and a future button for the map (so I don't have to use a ruler and estimate when the clouds will show up myself).

12 Comments:

At December 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM , OpenID cintagame.com said...

Nice info, i enjoyed your site, visit my blog too: cintagame.com

 
At May 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Didit Aditia said...

Paket Umroh Ramadhan dan Travel Umroh Jakarta
Paket Umroh Desember
Travel Umroh Murah
Biaya Umroh Desember

 
At December 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Gregor Arnold said...

First Solar announced that it would lay off almost a third of its workforce early last year, as it was planning on shutting down operations in Germany completely, and on letting its operations in Malaysia sit idle. диамантено шлайфане и полиране The European market for green energy had deteriorated for too much to sustain business operations, according to the company.

 
At February 22, 2015 at 11:18 PM , OpenID Blog SEO Friendly 2014 said...

Numpang komentar :v

 
At February 24, 2015 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Jenefee Mike said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation t hat's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting. Berita Arsenal

 
At June 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Michael Scofield said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful article...........

 
At July 20, 2015 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Jenefee Mike said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. Travel Holiday Traveling Blog Travel Place

 
At September 1, 2015 at 4:18 AM , Blogger Joseph Share said...

This is an incredible web site and that i can't advocate you guys enough. jam-packed with helpful resource and nice layout terribly straightforward on the eyes. Please do sustain this nice work... Agen Bola Sbobet Agen Judi Bola

 
At October 20, 2015 at 10:57 PM , Blogger grissha hamearth said...

You may post on the professional credentials for the blog owner. You could express it's outstanding. Your blog experience can springboard your click through. Robsonisucks.com

 
At March 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Ozhy Modhestly said...

I'm from Indonesia, Thanks for your information, I also have some information for you, click here

 
At March 7, 2016 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Ozhy Modhestly said...

I'm from Indonesia, Thanks for your information, I also have some information for you, click here

 
At March 9, 2016 at 12:04 AM , Blogger Hafizk Wabena said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read.
Lynbet.com
www.lynbet.com
Lyn Bet
Lynbet.com
www.lynbet.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home